Pet Surgical Services
We Treat Your Pet Like Family
North Shore Family Pet Hospital is equipped with state of the art surgical suites and trained veterinarians who perform a wide range of general surgical procedures. Our new modern surgical suite is equipped with the latest patient monitoring equipment and fluid pumps.
We carefully examine each pet prior to surgery. Anesthetic drugs are individually selected for the pet based on the procedure, their age, breed and health status. We strongly recommend that every patient have pre-anesthetic blood tests to evaluate their internal organ function to ensure that the pet is a good candidate for anesthesia.
Surgeries performed at our hospital include but are not limited to:
- Growth removal or tumor biopsy
- Laceration repair
- Urinary bladder surgery & stone removal
- Abdominal exploratory surgery
- Oral surgery (tooth extractions)
- Cesarean section
- Emergency surgery (e.g. foreign object retrieval, wound repair, others as needed)
We have protocols in place to make anesthesia and surgery safer for our patients:
- Prior to induction of anesthesia, an IV catheter is placed in every patient. This allows us to administer warm IV fluids throughout anesthesia, which helps maintain patient hydration and ideal blood volume. The catheter also ensures safety by providing immediate IV access in the unlikely event of an emergency situation.
- Patients are closely monitored under anesthesia by a dedicated technician taking vital signs on a regular basis and utilizing digital monitoring systems throughout every procedure.
- Our surgery table is heated to help patients maintain an ideal body temperature and additional safe warming devices are used following procedures to enable faster recovery from anesthesia and ensure greater comfort.
- A comprehensive pain management plan is developed for every patient to keep them as comfortable as possible before, during and after surgery.
Communication throughout the day of surgery is important to us. We will be sure that we have the best contact information when you drop off your dog or cat and will keep you fully informed about your pet’s surgery, progress and recovery. If required, the comprehensive pain management plan may include at-home pain medication to keep them as comfortable as possible at home. Upon discharge, we will explain all instructions to you.
Please give us a call if you have any specific questions regarding procedures offered or hospital protocols.